Old 12-07-19, 07:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
re chains--I have never damaged a chain in my life (frantically touching wood), a friend of mine who rides a great deal anecdotally has told me that he started meeting folks with broken chains more as things went to 10 speed

do any of you regulars know first hand if this is true, and if 11 is more susceptible, or last a lot less than earlier speed chains?

I'm genuinely curious.
I figure it can't be that bad, and especially for someone like me who is both lightweight and not strong and who keeps on top of drivetrain maintenance, it wouldnt be a real issue--and even if slightly less chain life, to have 2 more speeds compared to my 9 spd bikes, ie, closer shifts for the same cassette range and or wider range , that would be fine for me.

I'm certainly not a poo-poo-er of new technology, and it makes sense to me that stuff must be long lasting, if not it would quickly become known and talked about.....

(now costs of parts and availability of parts IS something I would take into account---and clearly this is my view like Happys', about "good enough being good enough"--this is why I am fine with 9 spd stuff on my Troll used for various touring trips. The 11-34 cassette and mtb triple 44/32/22 work fine as is. Instead of obsessing about stuff, I do get out there and do trips, so thats fine with me. I'd quickly switch the Troll to 10 speed however, as my freehub can easily take 10 spd cassettes, and I may be able to switch my shifters to 10 using some Microshift shifters taken off my wifes bike.