View Single Post
Old 12-10-19, 09:51 AM
CerveloPro1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First Timer! Need advice on Tubs

So first post! Been lurking in the shadows for a while... Here's the dilemma. I live in hilly western North Carolina. I do mostly roller riding indoors during the winter. Spring/summer/fall I do mainly 50-75 miles/ week and at least four to five centuries per year. The last century I did was 8,000 ft of climbing. I currently have Bontrager Aeolus 5 clincher wheels (50MM). I ride Ultegra 50/34t due to hilly climate. Frame is Cervelo r3. Nine times out of ten I’m never on a flat road. LBS has a pair of new Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL-T wheels that I’ve been eyeing for about two years. They’re new old stock so he’s offering a killer deal (IMO). Weight is 1195 for the set. The only problem is they’re tubulars. I like the small profile and the low weight for climbing. Frankly speaking, I think they look pretty sweet too. Now before you hit in either direction, I’m more of a pay for service then do it myself guy. (It is what it is) So if I buy them, more than likely I’ll never glue them myself.

I would be much better served to buy the same wheels in UST Tubeless, I just feel bad as we have a good rapport with the owner and they'd cost more as he doesn't have em.

My concerns are:

Flats, and the Oh cr*p moment when you’re 60 miles into a century.

Ride quality not being what I think it should be. I’ve heard they ride better than clinchers.

Limited availability of tires for purchase. Tubeless seems to the be way the world is going.

The fact that no one has bought them in two years. (Hence the sale) Resale value must be rough.

MSRP is $2,399. I’m looking at around $1K glued and installed out the door with wheel bags, warranty and pads.

Thoughts?