View Single Post
Old 12-10-19, 06:52 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
In my racing days we only used tubular tires. Please, please, please learn how to glue them yourself. Had a guy show up to a race on a new bike with new tubulars and very excited to race on the new set up. At the time, the bike shop that sold him the goods was the largest Schwinn dealer in the nation and had been around since the 50's, so they understood gluing tires. The second corner he rolled the front tire and crashed horribly.
That was on a Sunday. Monday he comes limping into our shop with the bike and wheels. I took one look at the wheels and pointed out to him that both tires were improperly glued. There was simply one dab of glue between each spoke hole. Unbelievable. He said they were fine all week, but the race was too much.

The glue must cover the entire surface of the rim interface with the tire. The tire also gets a coat of glue. There are instructions on the web explaining the process. This all happened before the internet was invented by Al Gore, so the shop that glued the tires obviously had an incompetent mech do the job. If you lived in my neck of the woods I would be more than happy to show you how it is done and the tricks to staying clean along the way.

Outside of this little tale, nothing rides like a tubular wheel set. Light, sometimes stinking light. Ride quality is excellent, and cornering is the same. In all the years I rode them, I only had a few flats. They can be repaired, but I paid a guy to do that for me as it rarely happened.