Old 12-11-19, 02:39 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
between the topstone and grail, I would go topstone. But I would also want a different wheelset for $450usd that would cut 300-400g off the weight and be overall 'better' due to being handbuilt with butted spokes.

The grail is neat looking from afar, but far from neat looking up close. The frame gusset at the seatpost that is there to mimic the carbon frame's look is just forced and sticks out. The welds continue to look like a class of 2nd graders connected the bike with toothpaste(not saying they arent properly done, just saying they look like toothpaste). And the reach is really long compared to most all other bikes in my frame size. Oh, and they were perpetually out of stock for basically a year with no eta for restock, which I find absurd in this day and age.

but my preference is 60% aesthetic so take that with a big grain of salt. The grail certainly is priced more competitively.
Thanks for your opinion.

Yes the grail is out of stock until "early next year" so that might be annoying..

I do trust Cannondale, the pioneers of aluminum frames and makers of the CAAD range, to make probably one of the best aluminum frames. It is just that the Topstone is not priced that well, nor specced with the best components. But I guess a good frame is more important in the long run. Also the geometry is more stable / more what I am looking for, so that is important as well.

The Canyon is just so much better value sadly.

Thanks!