Thread: Spin bike
View Single Post
Old 12-11-19, 11:40 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I am someone who likes to ride all year round and have several bikes for all seasons but I can easily see the benefits of indoor training, especially if it is based on a comprehensive system. Better cardio, improved cadence metering, improved sprint capacity, unlimited training sessions...
There is something to be said about the above quote. In my case, two examples:

First example, I bought my magnetic turbo trainer three years ago just as winter got started, about the same time I picked up my first recumbent. Anyone who rides a recumbent knows there is a adjustment period before one gets their "bent legs". When I first picked up the recumbent, I felt slow, and every ride outside left my muscles hurting. After a cold winter and time spent solely on the trainer, my first ride outside was incredible. No real pain, and I was much faster too (19mph avg vs 16mph). All due to spending time on the trainer during winter.

Second example. Ever heard the phrase "To increase your pedaling efficiency, hire a profession bike coach, or simply buy a set of rollers". I bought my first set of rollers before the winter of last year. I spent most of last winter on them, and found them to be a more intense and enjoyable workout for my road bikes over my turbo trainers. But it was on the outside road that the rollers seem to pay off. I found my cadence and pedaling was smoother, better balance, and though probably not any faster, I could go longer distances without tiring as fast. Winter indoor roller riding definitely made a difference in my outdoor rides, especially for the longer brevets in my area.