Old 12-11-19, 12:00 PM
RRAlategoer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello from another retired Brit.

Hello all, Robin Cornish here,
As a teenager in the 70's I joined the Wigmore Cycling Club, where a school mate already raced. Everyone else had hand built Youngs, Philbrook (PAG), Holdsworth etc. In Reynolds 531. A very few had Philbrook's, he was a member of our club and I knew him to chat with back then.
I had a Dawes Star Realmrider (still do have it) in gas pipe.
I regularly did club runs, and the Iwade 10 mile TT's. I enjoyed the participation, only ever got one win medal, a Harrietsham KCC 10 miler 1st on handicap.
Down to the fact I had just put on a set of 2nd hand sprints and tubs. And a Stronglight/TA Cotterless cranks and Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear mech. also 2nd hand.
It felt so much lighter and responsive, especially when it rained half way through and I could feel less rolling resistance - due to the fact that the tubs. were grass track pimple tread and not road race type!
I stopped participating to do other things, but continued to cycle around Bristol whilst at Uni. and then to and from work if nearby, or the station if commuting.
I had a little good luck on a charity pools and bought a "new old stock" 1982 Raleigh Record Ace (Worksop built) in 531c from a Chatham Raleigh shop. At last, my 1st Reynolds 531 bike!
I've done some miles on this one.
Including 3 London to Brighton, British Heart Foundation sponsored charity rides. Had a massive crash coming down into Brighton one year, ending up in A/E via the St John's Ambulance.
Good thing that I was a registered rider.
Had 13 stitches across my chin and 3 inside it.
Now I'm retired I'm gathering parts and tools to commence building bikes as a hobby to ride, including wheel building.
I haven't mentioned my time working as a schoolboy in Halfords, mostly in the bike section, progressing to buying a BSA Bantam, Tiger Cub then Tiger 90. Doing all the maintenance I could.
After marriage, we bought a 1969 Reliant Scimitar GT Coupe 3 litre.
Still do work on that.
I also "ran" my son for 12 years in MSA/RAC kart racing mostly TKM 100 junior with 1 year in MSA Super 1, then 115 cc senior.
I was the oily rag. The only servicing I couldn't do was the rebores and big end change as it needs careful balancing. They run regularly at 16500 RPM, so balance is fairly important!
That's me, folks.
I have recently bought a late Holdsworth (Marlboro era?) in 531 to revive, and a few others in 531, of course. More info on these to follow - later.
Bye for now.
Robin.

Here are the others:
I now have collected a Dave Yates 531st, Holdsworth Elan 84' 531 pretending to be a Professional (not with false labels, thank goodness) in beautiful metallic orange with blue panels colour scheme, and '86 Marlboro Triath Elan 531c, and a random Geoffrey Butler in Columbus Acciaio Speciale, whatever grade that is, a bit ugly in colours of brown/silver. All to be built up. Oh, and a Raleigh Lady Royale 531 for my lady, to replace her gas-pipe Silhouette (bicycle , that is).
Yes - I've just retired, and trying to regain my youth.
It is in the blood, as my father raced a Curly Hetchins that he picked up himself from the workshop. And no , he didn't leave it to me as it went to pay for a house move in '63.
I still live in Kent - Ashford now, and enjoy riding around the Wye area, more in better weather now to be honest.
Bye for now.
Robin.

Last edited by RRAlategoer; 12-11-19 at 12:02 PM. Reason: missing detail