Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding supplements of glutathion and other antioxidants, some recent studies suggest that for athletes, antioxidants (beyond what's normally found in a healthy diet) are probably doing nothing useful and may be hindering efforts at improving fitness. This article references studies on PubMed and other credible sites.

Basically it seems to confirm the old cliche about training for maximum performance: You gotta suffer to get better. Taking unnecessary antioxidants and anti-inflammatories may hinder achieving peak fitness.

Frankly, I wasn't pleased to read those studies. Burst my bubble about some favored supplements and recovery drugs. So I've cut out the antioxidants and daily NSAIDs for awhile to see what happens. So far, so good, but it's been only a week or two.
I did the same experiment many months ago, relying on that same article and line of thinking. I did OK, but not better. Then I reversed the experiment and went on large doses of every antioxidant for which there was decent evidence. Bingo. I did VO2max intervals two days in a row this week and I feel great. Massive improvement, like I was 10 years younger. Maybe 15. Just a onesie though. YMMV.

Yes, I suffered .plenty. Suffering is the key, after all. "If it didn't hurt, I wouldn't be doing it." Ability to suffer is what we're after.

I never take NSAIDs except for very temporary tendon sheath irritation. They are bad, bad, bad. Haven't had any in months. Muscle pain is good. Recovering from muscle pain is good. I also say, "if my legs aren't hurting, I could be training harder." I went to the gym and squatted immediately after today's VO2max workout, 4 X 3" x 3', hour total on the resistance rollers. Yesterday was 6 reps of that. Yeah, my legs hurt just sitting here and I'll take tomorrow off. Feels good. Yes!