qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very pleased with Trek company store

Originally Posted by maartendc
So I hear one piece of advice on this forum ad nauseum: " test ride the bike, see if it fits. "

Well, I went to a local bike shop over the weekend that sells Trek bikes, Ridley, and high end electric bikes and scooters, etc. Very nice looking high-end shop.

I am in the market for a gravel bike, so when I inquired about test riding a Trek Checkpoint AL4, the guy was like "sure, you could take it around the block some time, when the weather is nice". He seemed very reluctant. Then when I asked him: Do you have my size in stock, he said "No, we would have to order it". Then, all this led me to ask: "So do most people just buy a bike without test riding it?" He said "Yes. "

SO this leads me to my question: How common is it REALLY to test ride a bike before you buy it? Have you ever encountered a shop that would not let you test ride a bike? Just curious.

In my opinion, this shop provides ZERO added value over ordering online, so I will most definitely not be buying from them. I can look at a geometry chart at home, thank you very much.

Thanks!
Short answer - My local Trek company store was extremely accommodating.

When I decided to get my first new bike since I was a teen, a rail-trail model, I knew I wanted a Trek and so after looking at tons of info online, I decided on the DualSport3 model. We have a Trek company store near us, just a few miles away so I paid them a visit but they didn't have my size of a DS3 and only had a DS2 in large in stock so we took it out the rear door to a large mostly empty parking lot out back and after adjusting the seat they let me ride around for ten minutes. Later, I checked around at a couple of other area dealers and as it was October already they were also out of 2019 DS3s. Then the Trek store called to say they had found a 2019 DS3 at another company store in Nashville and that with a deposit they would have it sent up here to Lancaster, Pa. Well, when the bike arrived they found that the top bar was scratched up and invited me in to look it over and that if I still wanted it they would make me a deal but I really didn't want it even with the discount they offered. If I'm getting a new bike I want a new bike! In the end, they offered me a 2020 DS3 for the same sale price they were selling me the 2019 for so that's what I got in that bright green color so now it's my Shrek bike.