View Single Post
Old 12-14-19, 07:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3484 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 1,157 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have traveled a fair amoumt, internationally, with full size bikes, and with the S&S. Surprisingly(to me), not once was size an issue. Weight yes, always.
Agree.

A couple years ago i was on a van supported ACA trip for a week. I brought my folding bike and two others brought Ritchey Break Away bikes. My case was the S&S Backpack, it met airline size criteria but the two Ritchey owners told me that the Ritchey case actually exceeded airline size criteria by several inches. One of the Ritchey owners said that only once had he been charged the oversize fee, the other had never been charged. I have never even seen a tape measure or any other measuring device where you check the luggage.

But when you put your luggage on the scale, I suspect that the scale automatically tells the ticketing agent if you need to pay for over-weight, weight is a lot easier to quantify automatically than odd shaped luggage.

You often see a little size thingy where they ask you to check the size of your carry on, but only once in all the flights I have taken did the airline actually make people test their luggage for size before boarding in that size tester. My 31 liter Ortieb Rack Pack (duffle) was overflowing and I was sure it would exceed, but it passed quite easily.