View Single Post
Old 12-15-19, 11:26 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
When coming up with a price of 600 I was thinking all new, all nice parts to be comparable to OPs new wheels. Sure old can be very cheap. Although if you come up with anything on FB hubs for as little as $25 send me a PM.

Big problem doing this with misc. parts is there are not a whole lots of tubular rims that work with the stress a highly dished 130 hub puts on rim. And there are not that many tubular rims in current production. If you have something as fabulous as old Mavic Bleu SSC those will work, you had better not use less than 32 spokes. Ambrosio Nemesis work fine, again with proviso use a full basket of spoke. Ambrosio F20 which are readily available will work for a while, esp for lighter riders. A handful of real obscure rims like Campy Record Pavé are strong enough. Mavic CXP rims were made in tubular, don't see many. But in general you just don't use vintage rims on 130 hubs. Major Tom rims were finally out of production last I checked. So what's left? Hed Belgium/Ardennes is the only one that comes to mind and those are not cheap. Or you go straight to carbon rims which is all different.

Going back to OP it just struck me those are Mavic wheels. Company is in trouble. No spares for those wheels even in better days. Quality of Mavic wheels has been low a long time. No way are those wheels worth $1000. Bitex or White or DT on rear hub, anything available for front hub, Hed rims, handbuild with good butted spokes and it will be a much better wheel than Mavic.

Trying to do an edit here and can't seem to insert a quote. Anyway this was a reply to Road Fan and maybe now he will see it.

Last edited by 63rickert; 12-15-19 at 11:32 AM. Reason: messed up