View Single Post
Old 12-15-19, 03:50 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryCW
I was riding home last weekend and saw a pile of bikes just down the road from where I live. I spied the name Miyata. And the photo is what I found. A Miyata six fifteen. It is in a very sad state, with frame rust at the pitting stage in places. I took it to bits waiting for a stuck BB etc and it all came apart nicely.
Only after a little while did I realise the front wheel was small! 24 inch. It is such a small frame 47cm top tube, 40cm seat tube. I am quite fascinated truth be told. I do up old bikes for a hobby, local kids and those less fortunate. I'm quite keen to turn this into some sort of simple race bike for local kids triathlons that are popular here and attract all sorts of rides and riders. A 1 x 7 or similar. I read here somewhere that it was a light tourer, not sure why the small front wheel, toe overlap reduction perhaps? Not sure if I can find a tyre, the wheels spin well despite all.
I was toying with sand blasting but will probably go with a clean, scrape and some sort of rust stopper and thick clear coat. I like the decals and original color. Triple butted, whats not to love. If only it had been kept inside, the West Coast of NZ is shocking for sea spray.

Miyata six fifteen, in a sorry state
According to the 87 Miyata catalog the 46 came with a small front wheel, I think -as with the Terry designed Ironmans that this was to preserve geometry for a small frame. Nice save OP