View Single Post
Old 12-16-19, 12:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
@justinschulz9 I would go to the C&V forum and do a search on that forum for co-ops.....there have been a number of threads there on how to run co-ops / bike charities./ shared workspaces

I have worked with a bike charity that has a lot of similarities to a co-op. This charity had an initial focus on helping fix bikes for people with minimal resources...i.e homeless and working poor. They still do a weekly free repair clincis. They also take in donated bikes and getting them working, which are then sold to support activities or given away to deserving people.. They also have lot's of parts to sell, train people on service, service bikes and rent out work space and tools.

Key in all of this is detailed processes and procedures as there would a lot of risk if an unsafe bike goes out. Work is checked by a Quality inspector so always 2 sets of eyes at minimum. As an example guy brought is a fixie to the clinic....or so the intake ticket writer thought. It was single speed and had no brakes. So option was to return it without working on the issue (foreget what issues was....kinda thing BB was toast) so the guy I was working with and I added brakes as it could not be returned safely without

As best I tell Co-ops are all pretty much non-profits and depend heavily on volunteers

Likes For squirtdad: