View Single Post
Old 12-16-19, 07:32 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
@tallbikeman, if there isn't fun in the use of Zwift, it has little value to me. In any event I join, I don't intend to compete to win, except against myself. And if I get passed? oh well. If I feel I've got the beans to give chase, or drop, I will. I'm going to look into the settings tonight. No idea if they will effect my half smart trainer as opposed to the controlled smart trainers... My goal for the indoor trainer is to be in better riding shape come spring, and if I can sneak in a cooler weather ride, I will. I may try a fat bike in the snow with a Veteran's group I ride with. Just to see. Otherwise, not a chance of riding the icy slick roads with my back fusion...
Fun and enjoyment, two sides to what we do. I see that there is a feedback built into your bicycle riding program to, I'm guessing, make the trainer you are riding harder to pedal on hills and easier on down hills. If that is so I'm wondering if that may have something to do with your backwards programing on hills. Look at the Zwift program and see if the feedback loop has to be complete in order for it to work right. If not look to see if they have a disable for the feedback loop that is controlling the work level on the trainer. I don't know how you could hook up something that lets the Zwift program control the power output of a regular bicycle. My guess is they have some way of increasing drag in a trainer digitally. What that drag is is anyone's guess. Magnets, drag brakes, big fans???? I see what you mean that it takes more money to buy one of these trainers than what you might be willing to invest. These new digital trainers are all the rage and they may have a gym around that has one that can interface with your riding companions. I never join gyms but you might find one willing to rent by the hour and not have you join. Joining over time will cost more than the trainer. Riding in very slick conditions is not fun. I've heard of studded bicycle tires. If there is such a thing they would be better than not. But what a pain. I really like the fat tire bikes. They really work in conditions where the normal bike is useless. If I lived in snow country I would own one for riding in the snow and slick ground. Though there are many senior men and women riding in large groups in my area I love my riding time alone. It is a great time to relax and contemplate. I will chase riders and of course I get caught a lot by people I can't keep up with but it is all fun.