View Single Post
Old 12-17-19, 01:30 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by billyO13
Hello all. Looking for opinions/advice from those of you with more time on the bike than me.
Due to occasional seizures, a little over a month ago, I made the transition to being a full time bike commuter because driving a 1-ton diesel in now a bad idea and unsafe for the public. In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed some bloody stools and some irritation/inflammation around my perineal area, which I'm pretty sure is due to irritation from riding 10-20 miles a few days a week running errands.
I'm wondering what I need to change, (1) my saddle position; (2) the saddle itself; or (3) my attire?
(1) - In the past week, I've started playing around with my seat position, which I'm pretty sure this is the main culprit as the nose seemed too high once I started paying attention to it.
How long should I give each new seat setting before trying to adjust again?
(2) - My saddle is just the basic saddle that came with the used Giant Farrago I bought.
Am I wasting time playing around with positioning and should I go right to a better saddle designed to prevent this problem?
(3) - I also work as a metalworker/blacksmith and most of my commuting lately has been in Carhartts. I also (not to get too personal here, but it is relevant for the current discussion) do not like wearing underwear/long johns/tights/biking shorts etc.
Should I start by biting the bullet and getting some biking shorts with padding in that area?

Thanks

(PS-I've been a medical practitioner treating patients for the past 25 years, so I don't need any advice to go see a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious)
ok sir you didn't include your age now I say this only because we have a subforum that is designed by or for older cyclists let's say 65 and over there they also so discuss subjects such as what you ask, men who are experiencing ailments and also solutions and cures maybe there someone has experienced similar ailment and can give an opinion.....