Old 12-17-19, 08:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 4,428 Times in 2,101 Posts
Back to the Sports. Been throwing my fun money every which way recently, so the '80 Sports and its crankset has taken a back seat.

In the meantime though, it finally earned something worthy of it's "Dockless Donor" name (seeing that the original ofo Sturmey 3-speed idea didn't work out): I wound up with a few modern, double-leg kickstands during the process of getting 80 donated Spins fixed up (story here if you haven't read about it), as a few of said Spins had broken chainstay bridges.

Since I was never enamored with the way the Trygg center stand bolted onto the bike in the first place, I decided to swap it with one of the Spin stands. This also gave me a chance to delete the rusty, stamped steel Trygg top plate, which had long ago put squash marks in the tubing:

The top plate isn't from the Spin stand (nor is the Allen bolt), but it's my favorite sandwich-style plate to use. The design conforms to the curve of the tubing on the inside of the stays, causing minimal damage to the tubing (not that it helps much given the damage already caused by the Trygg) and helps to keep the stand rigid. I tried installing it just through the chainstay bridge (the '80 Sports has a flat chainstay bridge, not tubular like pre-1978 models), and it wasn't anything as stiff as it is now.

I don't know what kickstand these top plates come from, but I have one on my '51 Raleigh as well, and one spare. The '80 Sports required a small notch in the back for the fender clip.

In the meantime, the Trygg found its way onto the 1951 Sports, where it looks much more fitting. It's also using the same top plate between the stays too (which required that I re-tap the Trygg for a slightly larger bolt thread).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-17-19 at 09:30 PM.