View Single Post
Old 12-23-19, 12:04 PM
4thand11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum - getting ready to buy my first bike since I was a kid (and rode a K-Mart 1-speed with coaster brakes!). I'm 51 now. Have not ridden in many years but eager to get back into it.

I am looking at the Roam as it seems like the perfect fit for the type of riding I plan to do, and seems like good value for the money. My main question is the differences between the 2,3, and 4 (2020) models. Each one is about $100 more than the other, but as a bicycle noob I have no idea if it is worth it.

As far as I can tell, the Roam 4 has no lockout on the fork and a tourney front derailleur/altus rear derailleur.
Roam 3 has a lockout plus an Acera rear derailleur.
Roam 2 has Acera front and back

Brakes and most everything else seems to be the same on all 3. One other difference I could see is in the drivetrain (Roam 4 is 3x7, Roam 3 is 2x8, and Roam 2 is 2x9).

So... are these differences worth the increase in price? I have no clue about derailleurs and how much better/more expensive one is than the other. Also not sure if having a 2x drivetrain is a big difference and worth the extra cost. Thanks!