Thread: Packing a tent
View Single Post
Old 12-27-19, 09:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Damn! That remind me of at least one place. Strawberry Lake in MN. I nearly ingested a few while eating breakfast the next morning. When I unpacked my tent at the end of the day there were blood spots on it from the mosquitoes that got crushed when I packed it up.
I grew up in Minnesota, mosquitoes are the unofficial state bird. But the photo was either from Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, not sure which.

What really surprised me was how many of the mosquitoes that were in the tent when I packed it in the morning survived for a day in the packed tent and were moving around in it when I made camp at night.

This year I tried the repellent Picaridin, it worked pretty well. Theoretically that does not damage your equipment like Deet can, and I did not observe any damage to anything from using it.
https://www.rei.com/product/887628/s...lotion-4-fl-oz

But there were one or two campsites where the bugs were so thick that I reverted to the tiny bottle of 100 percent Deet that I brought as a backup plan.