Old 12-28-19, 12:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 2,584 Posts
Salt is a killer. I had a winter bike routine that worked pretty well in Boston 40 years ago. (12 mile commute, didn't drive.) Took a beat up Peugeot UO-8. brush painted it with two coats of epoxy paint. Set it up fix gear. Cheap sew-up wheels, cheap CX sew-ups. Lots of Phil Wood grease in bearings and on threads. (Didn't know about marine grease yet.) Mafac brakes. Plastic fenders. Zephal HP pump. I'd ride the bike all winter, doing next to nothing for it. (No outdoor running water and wasn't welcome to wash it in the basement.) By the end of March, the wheels would be square, the nipples frozen solid, the chain dry, stretched and junk. All bearings needed overhaul, some destroyed.

Late March, I'd cut out the spokes, rebuild with new rims, pack the bearings, put on a new chain (and maybe chainring, maybe cog and have what felt like a new bike to be my summer bad weather trainer/commuter until this rather nicer bike went into its next winter and repeat.

This bike never got expensive parts. Everything was deemed throw-a-way. Bike's still running. Everything is at least 4 parts later. Part quality is up a little but not a lot. (No salt in Oregon and I'm getting softer in winter; crashes hurt more and have longer lasting consequences plus I am now seeing the very long-term consequences of those crashes 4 decades ago.)

I"m not tempted to repeat those days but I have fond memories. The silent ride in to work in 7" of new, virgin snow. (And being one of the very few who showed up. Yes, I was 10 minutes late.) Being strong as an ox and crazy on a bike I knew very, very well. Cyclo-cross tires and fix gear - fun!! A full week of -5F every morning when I left. Never has the hill been so welcome.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: