ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
As of this week, the Aussie switched to another blend that adds PTFE powder and eliminates the paraffin oil. Pretty much the same thing other fans of wax have already been doing for years.

I didn't watch the entire video because it shouldn't take 20 minutes to give 90 seconds worth of information. But he likes to ramble and it makes my eyes twitch watching his careless handling of flammable liquids near ignition sources.
I wont go into the safety thing about what and how he does things. He's a grown man, he does his thing his way. I respect that.
I am looking for a way to liquify the wax, without heating it, that wont introduce an excessive amount of carrier. Some folks have just raised the amount of spirits until it stays liquid but after the carrier evaporates off you aren't left with enough wax to lubricate things. So for now I am left with heating the mixture until its liquid. I thought about adding transmission fluid, or some synthetic oil to the mix but then it would attract debris.
I think that has been the issue with paraffin wax lubes all along, the carrier to wax ratio is to high in commercially available liquid form products. Adding in PTFE is just more solids in the mix as far as I'm concerned at the moment. It might help with surface wear of the tooth form and exterior of the rollers. But my aim is to get the lube inside the rollers and plates of the chain, that's where the real wear is at. I can get the wax on the exterior of the chain easy enough, getting it inside the chain, on the bike, at room temp is the challenge.