Old 12-30-19, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I knew your post when I read the title would solicit massive response and all kinds of views. Department store bikes...…..well, depending on what you are looking for is a determining factor???? First off, you will not even more than likely find a "road bike" at a department store! I have never seen one in my area. So that case is closed as far as I am concerned and if you do find one like the infamous GMC thing labeled a bike, well, you have just that, something labeled a road bike. There is no comparison to that thing as compared to even the lowest cost road bike from a LBS. Now when buying a kid's bike it is the best place to go...….cheap and if it breaks, oh well. Kid's are not concerned with keeping a bike in shape. Ride it jump off it and let it roll into a tree to stop! That was me back in the 70's with Huffy and other like bikes from K-Mart, Roses and Sears!

Now lets get to even if you find a road bike at a department giant...…..it was put together by a teenage snot driveling millennial who knows not one thing on proper torque or setup. In their defense, they are not hired really to even care and I don't expect them to care. Your LBS if a quality one, will take the time to fit you and discuss setup even with a showroom bottom tier level road bike. Even a mountain bike or gravel bike. Plus the expertise and one on one cannot be had at department store.

If you are on a budget go used like on Craigslist or on bike forums with local sellers near you. Best deal to be had as most cyclist (especially road riders) keep their rides pristine. Plus they as an experienced rider will discuss any questions you have. The best deals are those newbies that have way more money than sense and they buy a $5k road bike and find out cycling is not their thing and then sell it for a big loss! I have seen a few of those in the past. But most are reasonably and fairly priced and ready to ride many miles.

To cap it again, unless I was shopping for a 5 year old's first bike to beat up on and learn to ride, stay away from department stores. If you are looking to get a decent bike for a child or yourself that has been riding for a while look used if new is beyond what you want to pay. I think bike prices are insane new and especially the mid to higher tier bikes for sure, but it is like any sport/hobby, it takes all kinds and all kinds of diverse incomes!

I find for me I can build a bike up all new by putting components together and have a nice ride over buying it off the showroom floor. But I self taught myself over the years to build up bikes and understand the mechanical side. But you would be best suited if a newbie to visit your LBS. If no LBS is nearby, then network like this forum and get pointers then purchase from what advice given.

I think telling a newbie to count on the kindness, honesty and good faith of Craigslist sellers to fill in his/her knowledge gaps is crazy bad advice.