View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 07:40 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I had worked for one shop for 5 years, by wages were just always a smidge more than minimum wage, from junior high on.
I was offered more $ at an ice cream store of all places, when I was 8 years old I wanted to work at a bike shop and ice cream store.
Done, started off at 10% more than the bike shop. Got a raise before 6 weeks in, the bike shop called me and asked to come back.
OK, but not giving up the other job, fun to work and the co-workers are attractive. (mostly sorority members)
They were gobsmacked at what I was earning per hour, but met it.
Few bicycle shops get beyond the low wage paradigm.
Similar here. I know a talented bike mechanic. Went from working at one of the best shops in town to working as a barista. Doubled his pay.

The bike shop business is one of the few where some have to compete against non-profit, donated inventory, volunteer workers businesses. Some coexist smoothly, some do not. But it makes a tough business even tougher. And then you have consumables on line: ebay, Amazon, wherever. And you have Walmart and similar competing on the bottom end. All in all, very difficult to make it work! My hat's off to those that can do it.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-03-20 at 07:55 AM.