View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 11:34 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18447 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 3,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Indeed it is a pain to clip / unclip/ clip / unclip… When I occasionally do a multimodal commute, bike ~ 2 miles to train in the city, train to an outlying suburban station, then cycle ~ 5 miles to work , I wear regular running shoes for the urban segment though the downtown, and bring my cycling shoes for the suburban segment.

Otherwise the full cycle commute of about 14 miles through MUP, residential, and early morning light commercial routes does not require many, sometime no stops.
Living near a smaller city, much of what I consider city center urban is probably what you consider suburban, and what I consider suburban would be what you consider way out in the boonies.

Nonetheless, while clipping and unclipping takes a moment of thought, it is not that big of a hassle.

A quick twist of the ankle and one is out. And, with some practice, I can often hit the cleats while pedalling.

Someone posted that rolling stops are now legal in Oregon. I suppose I've been doing them for a while. Stopping when necessary, rolling when not. And, even when stopping, sometimes dropping to a very slow roll instead (with a heart beat away from unclipping as needed).

I try not to carry two pairs of shoes, except for walking shoes if I'm planning on being off the bike for the full day.

And, I keep a pair of shoes at Mom's house as it is a frequent destination.