View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 02:01 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I started by doing a search for prostatitis and scanned the threads, this one seemed most appropriate so I'm posting here as opposed to a more current thread. Sorry if that's not the best approach.

I'm mid 40's, and after being an avid cyclist for 15+ years I started having an issue (painful ejac) in the summer and it hasn't fully went away as of yet. I see lots of info above about issues urinating, which thankfully I've not had, but as my case is a bit different I thought I would add to this thread so we have lots of the prostatitis comments in one place.

Again, no other symptoms other than one UTI shortly after this problem started, that is more likely related to what ever cause my original issue, rather than a UTI being the case of anything. And no UTI or other issues since. Also, when I say pain, I'm talking 2-4 out of 10, and it happens just prior to, during and shortly after ejaculation. A bit embarrassing to share, but I've now done so with various medical people so getting used to it ;-) And I do not experience pain or discomfort while cycling, but, perhaps, after years of cycling there is some nerve/other damage...just speculating.

Timeline:

- 1 month after the issue started I visited my family doctor, had urine, blood and PSA done...all came back no issues.

- About six weeks after issue started, had a UTI (antibiotic cleared that up within days)

- I see a naturalpath doctor time to time, and decided to have a food sensitivity test done (frequent constipation, bloating, for years)...came back with 20 or so foods scoring in the worst (red) category. I now have that under control with some natural supplements... and I continue to see this doctor (may explore testing for 'leaky gut syndrome'; will keep updated here for future reference)

- Had a urologist apt in November (4 months after issue started), and as there is a 20% chance the prostatitis is bacterial, started on the antiobiotic for 4 weeks; I'm now 3 weeks into that and still have the issue, but the amount of pain/discomfort is less

- I had another test done that I won't share here, but it came back fine

- Haven't been on the bike for 3 weeks, as the idea (from the urologist) is that if it's an inflamed prostrate, cycling may aggravate it

- Cause is unknown, but if it's non-bacterial inflammation, then it takes its own time...but given I'm only having a very specific symptom and because it's not very painful, nothing else to do

- Starting pelvic physio soon (may have tense muscles down there that contribute to frequent constipation)

- I ordered a new saddle (on the way) and I'm debating between some light, indoor cycling and will monitor pain level...haven't decided yet when to start up (it's not like I usually get pain during/after cycling, it's more that one symptom and even though I haven't ridden for a few weeks, the symptom hasn't went away...so this part is confusing to say the least)

Overall, lots of different stuff going on and different options for dealing with it...nothing solved as of yet but hopefully it resolves itself soon.

If anyone has any relevant info to share, please contribute (sure it's all uniquely subjective, but this is the internet!).
Here is an update as of Jan 3 2020:

- was off the antibiotic for a while and still had the issue mentioned above
- continue to take the natural path supplements
​​​​​​- started pelvic floor physio, focused on relaxing and stretching muscles in this area...while initially they were reasonably tight, they’ve loosened somewhat and this seems to have alleviated the original issue (last seven days), though too soon to conclude on anything
- off the bike 6 weeks now, and will resume riding in the next two weeks (new SMP saddle)
- after riding several times I’ll provide an update here (hopefully a good one)