just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Heres some background.

Im 51, a little over 5’8 and 4 years ago I was in lousy shape and weighed about 182. As a former “Uncle Rico” who gradually worked out less and less through the years until basically not exercising at all for 5 years, I said, “gotta make a change”

I started lifting and working out religiously, nothing crazy but here’s what I’ve been doing,

3 days a week, lifting. Heavy, compound lifts, Saquats/Deadlifts, Bench/Shoulders, Back Rows/Pulldowns. Usually 5 sets x 5-10 reps to failure.
3 days a week cardio, 45 minutes, step machine mostly.

4 years later, I’m 165, I have had a slight calorie deficit but I definitely look like a guy who lifts regularly. Not sure about the ratio of fat lost to muscle gained and I understand gaining muscle while losing fat is very difficult but whatever I’ve been doing, I’m very happy with the results.

So, I hated gym cardio and got a bike in August and love it. I’m just getting to 20 mile rides.

Im not necessarily making gaining muscles mass a goal, I’d be happy to just keep increasing my strength in my lifts, but certainly want to maintain mass.

I don’t think I have to make any changes until and unless I start riding farther and faster. Hoping to to a bit of both this year ; )

As far as my body fat percentage. I really don’t know. Going by google pics, lol, I’d say I’m getting to 15% or so.
That all sounds good to me. If you wanted to really get into cycling, you'd have to ride a lot more and lift less. Say 10 hours/week total, 8 cycling, 2 X 1 hr. lifting. 100 miles/week year 'round average is good. Work up to that a little at a time. Measuring is good, say bicep, belly, thigh once a month. Belly can go down, the other two hold steady or up a little bit, not much. BMI is good now, could come down a little.