View Single Post
Old 01-07-20, 02:15 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Failure training has its fans, but I suspect you're going to run into recovery issues with that workload eventually. You can get away with it for a while when you're just starting out (and when you're young), but you need to give your muscles time to build back up after breaking them down. I seem to recall that it's taxing on your nervous system, too.

I do like the emphasis on big compound lifts! Maybe consider just having one day of failure or "max effort" (higher weight, lower reps) per week, and other days could be 2x10 or 3x8 with a bit lighter weight and not to failure. Sort of like the low-intensity "recovery rides" we cyclists try to do.
TS, lol, I should have been more clear and, you’re right, if I did all that work every lifting session, I’d never recover. I couldn’t imagine even trying that even if I was 20 years old again.

I only do *one muscle group each day. So the fitness calendar I shoot for is,

Sat/Sun-ride or cardio if it’s too cold
Monday-rest
Tues-ride or cardio
Wed-squat/deadlift
Thurs-back
Fri-chest shoulders

I average about 10 working sets per session, about 30 minutes . And I rest a lot between sets. I’d like to add 5 sets of some type of isolation move to each day.

Ive been doing this for about 4 years. Trying to keep it sustainable for the long haul.

Cycling has been that missing link to make the cardio much more interesting/enjoyable so I can do it longer.
Likes For CyclingBK: