View Single Post
Old 01-11-20, 08:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
This was posted originally in "Saved from the dump" but it belongs here.
I picked this up today and am going to repaint it....it has been repaired so a cleanup and perhaps some filing to clean up the weld. Good thing is that it's all there, no missing pieces that I am aware of...just really grungy! Chrome parts will be soaking in OC. while I give it a good wash.
It's super heavy duty and super heavy Merziac said it was originally designed for use on motorcycle wheels but I have seen old pics of them used in some Japanese factories to build wheels..it is marked TANAKA tools Japan so?
Anyway, I am happy to have this piece of history even with the repair.
Best, Ben

before the washdown.
I meant it seems that they were used for both from early on and originally came from the motorcycle industry, I don't think they had lightweight ones to begin with and the heavy duty one would have been well suited for production work as you noted.

Obviously another history lesson to be had here, I saw the same stands in bike shops and motorcycle shops in the 70's although some bike shops had light weight versions instead.