View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 07:13 PM
Vitix2

Bikes: Ridley Damocles & Excaliber; Pegoretti Marcelo; Merckx SXM; Olmo Gara Pista; Black Mountain Cycles Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not really certain about the drug treatment preferences portion of the discussion, but can say that I have had about three bouts of it in 25 years and they all cleared up at some point.

First time it happened I was in my late 30’s and was riding lots. I’d just tried a new saddle and it developed. Stopped riding for about a year, which killed me, and treated it with Cipro/Flomax. I eventually got back on the bike with a new fluffy Serfas saddle, and rode for two or so years with no issue.

It then returned during a period when I was not riding much at all. Cipro/Flomax again, but added Saw Palmetto to the mix. After s short period of 1-2 weeks it went away.

It later returned a year or two later, and it seemed to occur/become noticeable when doing speed rope workouts (like boxers do) in the off season.

Overall, it did never seemed connected to the bike. I picked up a Selle Anatomica saddle, and have been riding without issue for more than 10 years.

My Urologist also suggested it was an infection thing, not a bike thing. That said, the medical explanations received based on my own research and consultation with my Urologist have not really helped me figure out how it is contracted. Even now, my basic understanding is that it results from your prostrate becoming infected by other systems/processes within your body....not sexual transmission, serious illness, or other scary stuff, just things that inadvertently happen internally.

My point is that it has not stopped me or diminished my riding. It has put me on extended timeouts, but the world did not end. Once the active inflammation subsided, which was typically 1-2 weeks, I was good once I got my head/fears under control and switched to a Selle Anatomica. It has been more than ten years and 15k miles since I’ve had an episode.

That said, I still keep Cipro and Saw Palmetto around just in case things ever decide to explode down there and it takes me a second to see my Dr.

My experience with the big P may be different than others, but after the inflammation the thing that held me back was ongoing concern about it, not it. The concerns and long layoffs from cycling shared on this thread are consistent with my experiences - inflammation and pain, weak urine flow, constant need to urinate, reduced sexual performance and capacity. But in retrospect, it was short term. However, I stayed away from the bike for long stretches because I was freaked out by everything.

Now, I view as something to be managed rather than the potential permanent loss of my old friend down there. Additionally, my Selle Anatomica has been great. Of course, saddle choice is personal, but my Selle Anatomica has removed all perceptible bad pressure down there when I ride and is downright comfy.

Last edited by Vitix2; 01-12-20 at 07:37 PM.