Old 01-14-20, 09:52 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Road Test/Bike Review (1982) Klunkers of Marin

So as a somewhat acrophobic flatlander who took up mountain biking in middle age, I suck at it.
And if you don't want to take my word for it, I can send you a list of 20 friends across the Midwest US who'll testify I should stick to fire roads and bunny trails.
Not that you should believe any of those knuckle-dragging liars anyway, but that's not the real point.
The real point is I'm a bit anxious about posting this article because one of our own BF members @Repack Rider) wrote the accompanying "Off-Road Technique" sidebar, was photographed for this article, and was on the cover of the June 1982 issue.
Essentially, he was one those Marin guys making history.
So really, who am I to be posting anything about the rise of mountain bikes?!
Well, I'm no more than a conduit of vintage information hoping you'll enjoy this prescient article as much as I did. You can feel the sea change.
If so, then please take some time to view @Repack Rider's website (Charlie Kelly's Mountain Bike Hubsite).
You'll find this same article posted there and so very much more about the earliest days of mountain biking.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite: