View Single Post
Old 01-14-20, 11:08 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by frugihoyi
Oh I see that now. If I want a strong hanger that won't bend easily, what material should it be made of?

Do you mean that if I buy a 11-28 cassette, the cogs in between the smallest and the largest might have different numbers of teeth than in the cassette I have now? Could that cause me problems or will the cassettes I linked to work for sure?

Can I actually get a smaller number of teeth and not run into any problems when combining it with the other parts I listed? Are you saying all my geras will be heavier with a smaller number of teeth?
There are hundreds of different hangers. You would have to find one that matches your bike frame. I don't know what materials are available. The ones that I have are either replaceable aluminum, or a steel hanger that is physically part of the frame and not removable.

Different sized cogs in between the 11 and 28 won't affect the shifting ability of the bike. Both of the cassettes in your links should work. But it will affect how much power difference you will feel between the steps of the gears. For example if you have a pair of cogs that are 19 and 21, the difference is 10.5%. If you have 19 and 22, the difference is 15.8%. You can search google for gear calculators if you want to see what the gear stepping looks like.

Using smaller number of teeth in chainring will reduce the gear range. It does not make it "heavier". If you use a smaller chainring, you have to check if the chain gets too long. But since you are using a RD with longer cage, you should also check if you need to cut the new chain longer than the old chain.

Narrow wide chainrings are designed for 1x setup. It's not absolutely necessary, but it makes the chain run quieter and helps sometimes to keep the chain from jumping off because of the taller teeth.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Narro...-/301933208383

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 01-14-20 at 11:11 AM.