View Single Post
Old 01-17-20, 09:10 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
OMB Barrett - finally coming over to the dark side?
You're looking for a "torque sensing" rather than cadence sensing system. Are you looking to build a bike, or are you looking for something off the shelf.

Personally I just use a throttle because I like the precision of them (and I run low power). Since you are an acomplished biker, you might be happy with a low power assist for hills where it is basically an on/off system. The trick with ebikes is that they get heavy quickly - which has to be ballanced out with the hill climbing advantages...
I'm ready to use an electric assist road bike on those days when I want to ride for an hour or two but when I'd like to avoid suffering on the hills. I expect that these rides will supplement my usual rides on my regular road bikes. I've avoided "active recovery" rides in the past since every hill is usually a peak effort.

I'm looking at two models: The Orbea Gain D30 which is an aluminum frame model with a Ebikemotion low power cadence sensing motor, this bike is about 30 lbs. I'm also looking at the Yamaha Urban Rush which is a mid-drive torque sensing drive system with more power, this bike weighs about 40 lbs. I'm investigating a test ride of each.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-17-20 at 10:18 AM.