View Single Post
Old 01-22-20, 01:36 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I've been messing with the brakes the whole afternoon. I've renamed them Sram DoubleCrap and are frankly considering ditching them after less than a year and switching the whole groupset to hydraulic 105.

I've found that one of the pistons was 'semi stuck'. It moved, but not past a point. So the brake only compensated for wear with the other piston. No amount of working out the piston managed to make them to move evenly. No way even after having it sparkling clean. Not even after trying to lube it. I thought it was better to forget about this issue and then...

I decided to replace the pads anyway since they were worn. I was unable to fully separate the pistons, so the disc could fit between the new pads. No amount of pushing and separating with a 50cm long screwdriver did it. I finally opened the reservoir screw to let a bit of oil out and managed to open them to the point that I have 1 micron of space between the disc and pads. Surprising, considering that they have the same oil that came from the factory. The disc now fits but the clearance is so tight it rubs everywhere.

Now, it seems the front brake has less travel than the rear one and has a crappy feeling. No amount of bleeding seems to solve that.

What a good memories of my old Avid Elixirs... I clearly remember when I threw them in the bin and replaced them with SLX that didn't brake as good but required exactly 0 maintenance in 7 years.

The only problem is that replacing road levers means replacing the whole groupset, which costs more than half of what I paid for the bike.

I don't think I want to touch Anything Sram again. Not even with a stick.

I really like the bike, and I'm starting to think about selling it and buying a used 105 one. Thats the only thing sram brakes seem to do apart from braking: frustrate the user until he wants to throw the bike from the top of a cliff.

Last edited by Amt0571; 01-22-20 at 01:41 PM.