Old 01-22-20, 04:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 2,866 Times in 1,560 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Bike mechanic (7 years full time in a pro shop) and 12 year Calgary winter commuter - KMC rust resistant chains and Prolink chain lubricant are my top recommendations for the conditions here. And some Tri-flow for derailleur and brake pivots.

But also: TAKING THE BUS when it's minus freaking thirty. NOTHING works the same way at -30 as it does at +10, and the weather here swings from one to the other too quickly to make it realistic to try and repack bearings etc.

Frozen freewheels are usually from water getting inside; frozen freehub bodies are sometimes water, sometimes the grease thickening in the cold.

Chain skipping in the cold that resolves once warmed up: I look at the freewheel/freehub; derailleur pivots; *shifter cable and housing* (bit of ice inside your housing will mess the shifting up and cause skipping); buildup of ice/snow/slush on derailleur or cassette.

Skipping that doesn't change once warmed up: chain wear; stiff link(s); rust in freehub/freewheel; seized derailleur(s); seized cable(s); bent derailleur hanger; cracked frame (I have seen so many rust through at the drive side chainstay)...

(Off topic - I am almost certain I built t1k's e-bike!)
Originally Posted by t1k
Spent another half of hour last night flexing the chain links. Made them pretty lose but wasn't able to eliminate the chain skipping completely. Rode the bike to work today and the skipping was improving (less skipping) as I rode.
Looks like I will have to add paraffin oil to the wax bath.

I've seen that DrIsotope recommends adding a puck of Mr. Zog's wax to the mix to soften the wax. Does anyone have much experience with Mr. Zog's?
Personally I think avoiding wax and following the mechanic advice on prolink is the most sensible approach....ymmv

As for Mr. Zog's, the Mr. Zogs I am familar with is surfboard wax, meaning you rub it on the board to build up stick bumps so you don't slip. adding this to a chain is just going to attract dirt and increase friction, and make it more likely to freeze up in cold weather