View Single Post
Old 01-25-20, 08:31 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I am far from able to give you much advice as I too am a returning rider after many years away.

In 2009 my old man had a heart attack (he survived). But at the time it scared me. Dad was near 400lbs then and I was not far off at 350. So I went out and bought two bikes. I felt really embarrassed walking into that bike shop at 350lbs. But I was treated very well and was made to feel comfy very quickly.

I bought that day a starter mountain bike for myself that just fit me better than most other bikes. It was comfy and far better than all the big box store bikes of my child hood. I also bought a comfort bike for my father to join me on. Sadly cycling wasent for my dad but I stuck with it and got down to 250lbs within a few years UNTILL. In September 2012 I got hit by a car while out on my motorcycle one night. Physically it messed me up pretty good and it was a full year before I could even attempt walking again.

Today I am have one leg 1” shorter than the other my left foot is splayed out a bit and the ankle joint can’t twist much only moves forward and back. I have arthritis in my left knee and have very little muscle in the leg. I also have some issues with my hip lower back and my left shoulder.

But that all being said. After a few Failed attempts to return to riding bicycles. This year I’m more dedicated than ever (motivated by kids of my own now). And although I won’t lie it HURTs it also feels so good to be cycling again the half dozen times our winter weather broke allowing me to.

Today I stand at 264lbs am slightly shorter than I once was at 5’10.5” and am 36 years old. I still ride motorcycles and love it. I still will cycle on the road (though I enjoy trails and bike paths more). And despite a few limitations try to enjoy the things I did before my accident.

My point is get yourself a bike. You can do this and you may just realize it’s FUN. Get yourself a bike that YOU feel comfy on and like. Getting out for FUN is far easier than going out to prove anything to anyone. You don’t need a 3k bike. Both my bikes and the bike I bought my dad combined don’t cost 3k. But maintained they all still work and ride fine today.

The one bike I have is a hybrid similar to what you looking at I believe. It’s a great bike and one I have some big rides planes for on. but to be honest I don’t think i would have liked it when I first started. It’s a very ruff ride and with skinny tires I was worried about my weight on it. If your set on trails and bike paths only. Don’t be afraid to try a hard tail mountain bike. They not as fast and don’t roll as easy. So your liable to not go as far or fast. but if it gets you out there and turning the cranks then it’s the best bike in the world to ride.

enjoy the journey.

Last edited by TinyBear; 01-25-20 at 08:44 AM.
Likes For TinyBear: