View Single Post
Old 01-26-20, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 4,255 Times in 2,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
Hi all:

my 1987 Schwinn Super Sport came with a set of un-original wheels, Wolber Super Champion clinchers with no-name sealed hubs, no markings but a sticker that says “sealed bearings”. The front wheel has developed quite a bit of side-to-side slop in the year or so I’ve been riding this bike. I understand adjusting the cones on conventional hubs, but I have no experience with sealed bearing hubs. Is it worth trying to replace the bearings, or replacing the hubs? Or is it time for new wheels? How good are these Wolbers anyway?
“Sealed bearings” doesn’t necessarily mean that the bearings are cartridge bearings. Shimano hubs are usually marked as “sealed” and they are all loose bearing hubs. They do have labyrinth seals and rubber boots that seal them against the elements. Cartridge bearing hubs seldom develop any kind of play since the bearings are usually pressed into place and can’t really move side to side. The axle just can’t move.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Sounds like you have Specialized hubs or maybe they are Sansin hubs. The Sansin are most likely cup and cone, the Specialized are press fit.
Huh? There are several thousand suppliers of hubs around the world. There are several thousand more if you include the ones that are no longer in business. There is no reason to think that the hub in question is a branded Specialized hub in particular.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: