View Single Post
Old 01-27-20, 02:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3521 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
So, overall, are you happy you bought it, or not? I definitely want/need to have two easily accessible water bottles when I travel, and I don't wear biking vests with those back pockets for bottles. My dashboard space is also all taken by lights, mp3 player, speaker, etc., so no room for a bottle holder on there..
One more note on water - you might note that the photo of my bike with the panniers, etc., I had three Smartwater brand one liter sized bottles in the cages. Needed an extra velcro strap on teh one below the downtube to keep it in the cage. Smaller bottles do not fit the cages that well but the one liter size do. There also is a brand Life WTR (in Canada Life Water) that has one liter size bottles that fit cages nicely. I have started using those bottles for touring because they are light and fit in cages well. They were intended to be disposable, but I re-use them. I think they have about a two month life span. And if I am flying somewhere with my bike, yes I am bringing along empty (disposable) water bottles.

In this photo, I am mixing two Life WTR and one Smartwater bottle, all are one liter capacity. That size does not come with the flip top lids, I used lids off other bottles.

If you use the regular small size water bottles that are about 22 oz, you need three of those to equal two of my one liter bottles.

But, smaller size frames might not be able to fit those large tall bottles.