Old 01-31-20, 03:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by dcaguillard
(Perhaps another option is just go with the new tubeless Continental GP5000 700x32 and deflate whenever I get to dirt?)
David - I spent a couple of years on the 4-seasons in that size. Worked great (I ran them ghetto tubless). Tough as nails - much tougher than my gravel tires (Well, my 40mm ramblers are kinda thin skinned).

Then I got all excited with the GP5000 when they came out both tubeless and in the 32mm size. I'm blown away. Half the rolling resistance of the 4-season (literally), 1-2mph faster on my commute, and amazing in a fast group ride (where I'm drafting and the rolling resistance at 30mph makes a significant difference).

I have traditional and tubeless. The traditional is as fragile looking as any conti race tire. The tubeless is thicker, both in sidewall rubber and the size of the cords (half the TPI means chords twice the size). I can't tell the difference between the two riding, but its clear the TL tire is beefier and more puncture resistant. It seems surprisingly tough. I wouldn't take it on chunky gravel or rough fast gravel down hills - but for the stuff I choose 32mm for, it is amazing.

Its not the toughest or longest lasting, but it seems to be tougher than I expected. Silly fast. The speed may not be anything you notice unless you are really pushing it, but at 8watts/tire at 18mph there is just not that much room for improvement. Its brilliant. Makes me want to try conti's new 40mm gravel tires...