View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 09:01 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
ha-ha looks fun but a lot of work for a daily commute. clean bike. lube chain. extra cloths because of the rain. More likely to get hit from bad visibility from car drivers. Your work clothes are mess.
I see you recently joined bikeforums....welcome!

I have commuted to work by bike since 1992. After I discovered bikeforums in 2009 I learned better, safer, easier and more comfortable ways to commute in all weather including rain, snow, ice, extreme cold and excessive heat. Plus night riding!

I bike in inexpensive generic atheletic wear and change into my clean, fresh street clothes at work after freshening up. I carry my clothes with me to work in a bag on my rear rack, but others use panniers, or keep a supply of clothes at work that they transfer on a day they drive. I'm able to keep toiletries at the office and clean up there. Others are lucky enough to have shower facilities.

As far as traffic, I will get off the road and stop if it rains heavy enough for most cars to use their wipers on high, but with smart 180-degree lighting on the bike and up high on the helmet I am more visible than a car with only forward facing daytime running lights. I also have mirrors and an airhorn.

Thanks to bikeforums I have found there are much fewer limitations to riding to work than I had imagined.

At 58, I'm happier and healthier than I was in my late 20s thanks to bike commuting.

All it took was an open mind, and a willingness to try what others do, and keeping or adapting the methods and strategies that worked for me. What it didn't take was a lot of money. Oh, you can spend a lot if you want the newest, or nicest things (and that's okay)...but you don't need them to ride smart and safe, and enjoy yourself.
Likes For BobbyG: