Old 02-05-20, 02:40 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Those are all cool and cheap, very much my philosophy, however:
- A bike work stand should have the bike at a comfortable work height, whether sitting or standing is preferred, and neither of those do. That really saves your knees and back, and even your feet from plantar fasciitis.
- I have 20" wheel folder with a large down tube and no top tube, those won't work.
- My bike is heavy even unloaded, so lifting assist would be nice.

With regard to the latter, a bike shop here has a pro stand with seatpost clamp, which then slides in a steel U-channel on a hoist. Clamp it on with the bike on ground, then raise. Custom and very slick. I can envision something with a bike lifter pulley (used to be expensive but now $8 at harbor Freight), but that is not really mobile.

My current work table is a skinny table, 18" wide and 5' long, typical sitting height of about 29", the length handy to hold my tool box. I work on the bike inverted with me standing, I need to use spacer blocks under the handlebar grips for stability because of the clip on aero bar in the center. I have also used a "Workmate" copy, clamping work table, with the bike inverted and clamped around the seat post to hold the bike. Both setups work for any shape frame, though not a recumbent.
You can have the bike at any height you want by putting the stand on any height surface you want. It's portability is one of its great advantages. It was not built with folders with no cross tube in mind. Just general use on the Vast Majority of Bikes in existence. Not every single bike, useful in a lot of situations...Thanks,mjac