View Single Post
Old 02-05-20, 07:31 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by asindc
My 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez. Replaced everything except seat post.
Hey, I've got a 2002 Lemond Alpe D'Huez too, I bought it new and I don't plan on selling it since its got such a past.

I bought it in high school at Race Pace Bicycles in Ellicott City, MD with some summer lifeguarding money. I rode it a bunch, upgraded it to Dura Ace 7700 with more lifeguarding money, then raced it my freshman year in college. I bought a team deal Cannondale as a race bike and the Lemond went to college commuter status. I crashed my race bike and lunched a derailleur, so i stole the RD off of the Lemond and it sat because I didn't have the cash to replace it. It sat for a couple years disassembled until my brother got transferred to Belgium and he wanted to commute with it. I built it up with some spare parts, and sent it off to Europe. When he was transferred back, the carbon fork got all scraped up and he was going to put the whole bike out on the curb for trash pickup so I drove to South Carolina to rescue it. I knew I wanted to get the junk components off of it that it had while on Belgian commuter duty, so I put on a SRAM force group I had laying around. I also had a SRAM Red Exogram crank laying around, but the crank wouldn't fit on the BSA BB shell, so I swapped the rings onto a set of Dura Ace 7800 cranks that I knew would work. I bought a Columbus Minimal 1" carbon fork also, and I think it dropped a pound and a half.

Overall, its a great bike. Not the stiffest, I can make the tire rub with a jerky enough sprint. Not the lightest, she's probably sitting around 19 pounds with the powertap hub on there. Not even the best handler with the slightly flexy front end, but the ride is fantastic.

So with that out of the way, hot or not? If nothing else she's got a great personality.