Thread: Old Rockhoppers
View Single Post
Old 02-06-20, 08:11 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
- Yes, those are them.
As far as never getting flats - excellent. Almost a year riding them and no flats (3500 miles? not sure, I have several bikes and got almost 6000 miles in for 2019) .
That includes the GAP - C&P Trails / suburban commuting / lots of coffee shop dirt road rides.
On pavement you can hear them, and if you're a sensitive rider, you might find the on-pavement vibration annoying. I'm OK with it. And they sound weird on wet surfaces, kind of a squishy sounding sizzle. Like lots of tiny suction cups or something.
Price was really good, maybe $20~$25 a piece from my LBS.
I'd love to go up market with some of those nice supple kind of tires. Maybe one day.
I still have a set or two of Drifters that I used to use. Maybe not the softest tires I ever used, and a bit heavy, but I NEVER got a single flat on them. Great grip too. I thought they were the pretty close to the perfect short range commuter tire.