Old 02-08-20, 08:45 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I have been watching this thread with great interest. The Schwinn Voyager SP was one of the bikes that I dreamed about back the '80's. Some are suggesting using a '90's mountain bike. These are great suggestions too. Either bike would work and work well. It is my point of view that the Schwinn or late '80's touring bike is more "elegant" with a lugged frame, semi sloping fork crown, nice colors. The '90's mountain bikes are more function over style. Tig welded frames, unicrown fork, also nice colors, but different.

These mountain bikes are tough. I commuted on a Trek 800 and it never missed a beat. Nothing happened to it except getting really dirty.

I am of the opinion that if you get a new(er) bike, a mountain bike or a touring bike, it will work.

I am also following this, because a part of me still wants to do this trip too. So, I mull over the same type of questions in my head.

Are you doing this solo? If so, you will be carrying all your gear and not able to divvy it up with a partner. That could be quite a lot of weight. Of course, camping gear has gotten better too.

Keep letting us know how you are doing, what bike you get, how a shorter excursion works out. There is also a touring section here that will be real helpful.
Thanks so much for the interest. I will be self supported on the long tour but will be doing several shorter tours including the Natchez Trace 440 miles assisted first as a proving ground.

The Schwinn was a total bust. I spoke to the seller and questioned him about the condition of the bike at length before driving 4 hours one way, which would up to be 5 hours with traffic. I got there and everything I was assured of was nothing but lies. The "new tires" were completely dry rotted. The "absolutely zero rust frame" had rust spots. "Just tuned and serviced", apparently means 15 years ago. Brakes were so bad as to be basically non existent on this "completely restored" bike. I give up on Marketplace. this is the 3rd time I have been totally lied to and wasted time and money! I couldn't even get the rear wheel to tighten enough to stay straight in the frame under torque. The bike I was assured could leave on an across the USA tour tomorrow, didn't even make it 200 yards down the road. It's been a long time since I wanted to punch somebody in the face. I don't understand just lying to somebody. My plan now is to sell some of my best stuff and buy a new Surly Ogre.

Last edited by RH Clark; 02-08-20 at 08:49 AM.