View Single Post
Old 02-08-20, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 4,186 Times in 2,802 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I've got an un-used carbon seat-post pulled from the bike behind it (kid insists on a dropper post).

The stem and seatpost were designed to be used together, but I see your point. The movement is pretty much non-noticeable unless I bounce up and down on the saddle.

I have two copies of this wheel-set, the only difference is the other is Chris King (hubs, and made by them) and 28 spokes front and rear. They are both about 5 years old now, and have been very solid. In fact, the 28 spoke rear wheel stays more true than the 32 spoke one (which isn't a totally controlled experiment, as I use that one off road more). I weigh 200 lbs clothed, btw.

It works great. I've also used that crankset on another bike with Ultegra Di2. I had to get a wider square taper bottom bracket than the WI one I was using on the other bike. I got a much less expensive Shimano BB. I like it better. I probably could have used a 105 or Ultegra front derailleur, but since I increased the chain-line with the new BB, I opted for the GRX one. So now I am using a GRX front derailleur with a White Industries crank on one bike, and a GRX 46/30T crankset with an Ultegra Di2 front derailleur on another. (I may move stuff around again in the future.) But I guess the main point is that these things are more interchangeable than we are told.
My fitter hates when people do the double suspension in opposite directions. Our owner and one of his other employees love to push people to it and he just goes into the "it doesn't work" rant which luckily is based in his many years as a fitter and studying bicycle fit. The Carbon post isn't a bad idea for comfort but I like metal things when touring.

HED makes excellent rims that is why I went with them in the first place. I probably would have done them on more wheels if they did a hard ano grey version or a polished silver version and maybe if the price came down a touch but they are super nice quality and look great.

Ahh Square taper, that changes things, I am going G30 cranks so no square taper. However if I am going square taper the QB-95 Defiant from IRD would be my top choice. Super smooth and really nice. I will say if the frame wasn't a Phil Wood frame I would have used that BB instead of a Phil Wood one, that thing is a bit of faff and I don't like faff. It works just fine now but setting up was a pain and I think the QB-95 seems a touch smoother.