MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10190 Post(s)
Liked 5,897 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by ashongut
I recently received the results from an mri I did to give me more insight into why I'm having so much upper back and neck pain on the bike. I rode 5500 miles in 2018, which I guess my back really didn't like. I became interested in cycling and started building u the miles quickly. My back pain started when I had my highest mileage season in August of 2018 (Rode almost 1000 mi that month). Turns out I ruptured my t34 disc. I actually did 2-3 months of pt back in December 2018 to help strengthen my back with slight improvements, nothing major though. The doctor says I can still bike. Anyways I really don't want to give up on cycling. So, if anyone ruptured an upper spine disc let me know what you did for a full recovery. I want to be able to go on long 100 + mi adventure rides again so badly. Right now I start having back/neck pain 20 mi pin. It sucks. Thanks.

I am still trying to keep up with my PT exercises. My back feels really good after the exercises but gets so screwed up once I get on the bike. I did get a bike fit after I started having pain which didn't help. Maybe I should try riding a different bike? Not really sure what to do at this point.
Its impossible to say what’s causing your pain from the description so one can’t make any specific suggestions. However, discs protrude and herniate in a generally posterior direction, so spine flexion is to be avoided. That could mean going to an upright bike or, if you want to ride in an aggressive posture, learning to hinge at the hips and maintaining a flat back. That’s good back hygiene and might help with the pain. If you are having pain referable to one or two nerve roots, transforaminal epidural steroid injections can be very helpful in getting over the painful phase of the disease.
Good luck!