Old 02-13-20, 05:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Interesting, that's what I've settled on too, both for daily wear and distance rides on platform pedals (not exactly going to clip in on a unicycle, though it's been done).

But they don't seem to last long, and I especially worry what will happen if I have to ride through rain or wade through mud in a way I've so far avoided by picking day rides according to weather.

Been wondering about five ten impact highs but not yet had a chance to try any on.
I only use New Balance because they have an extra wide size, and there's a store near my home called Big 5 that routinely has them on sale for under $50. I have no brand loyalty to them.
You're right, they don't last long and it bothers me to throw shoes away every season.

I came back to bike touring after a long distance hiking "career", and the NB runners were the perfect shoe for that. The minimalist ethic I learned on the trails led me to downsize the number of shoes I have, and the bike shoes were second to go, after work shoes. I'm now down to just trail runners and ski touring boots.