Old 02-14-20, 09:14 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
I've used the same setup for most of my tours. Last year, however, used a pair of Brooks trail runners with Superfeet inserts and was extremely happy. I'll probably use Brooks again.

The reason trail runner shoes are my choice comes down to foot protection, comfort, and flexibility. Trail running shoes have a robust tread, so therefore they offer great protection for the soles of your feet. When combined with the stiff inserts, you can transfer force from your whole foot onto the pedal much better than sneakers or sandals.

For me, much of the draw of bike touring is the taking breaks in beautiful places. I like to go on short hikes to explore. When you have good footwear, you can explore so much better, and trail running shoes are very lightweight and comfortable for how much protection they afford. They also tend to be well ventilated. Even when my shoes get soaked, they dry fairly quickly.
Ditto all the above. And I often use the bike as transportation to a trailhead. One was 120 miles from home, for a three-day hike. And I agree with the importance of ventilation in wet conditions, paradoxically.

Ever hear of "bagtex?" In cold heavy rain or snow, use bread bags as a barrier over your socks. You don't want to do that all day, for days at a time, but it's a good, light, and free tool when used judiciously.