View Single Post
Old 02-14-20, 09:14 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I can't get enough of looking at it - thanks for trudging out into the cold to snap the pictures for us.

There's something so contemporary about it too. If it wasn't for the bars, it could be mistaken for a stripped-down 1970's Columbia at a distance if one doesn't realize what they are looking at. (And by no means do I mean this as the insult to the Glenwood - the internal lugs are what led me to reference Columbia over similar Raleighs or Schwinns).

I'm also really impressed at that equally contemporary weight. It is as if 1898 just called in so they could laugh at Schwinn's electroforging of 30 years later and at the fixie-shaped boat anchors offered today.

By the way - how's the frame for stiffness?

-Kurt
I haven’t tested the frame for stiffness but it does behave nicely. The light weight of this caught me completely offguard. After reading on pathracers being made for velo tracks, having large chainrings, sub-25lb weight, rat traps, drop bars, track dropouts w/adjusters, drillium sprocket and simple but sturdy frames, it was later obvious to what this bike was designed for, racing. Just a measured estimate with this skip tooth, looks to be comparable to a 53/16 fixie ratio. That’s board track gearing and roadster compromise. This one has a bell on it (still works!) for riding like a “Scorcher”.

I laughed at your Schwinn comment.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 02-16-20 at 07:08 AM.