Old 02-18-20, 08:07 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Tour of the Battenkill Preparation and advise

So I am posting a bit early to get some advise to make sure I am on the right track and also because the deadline for early registration is Saturday and need help figuring out which race to enter:

Current fitness:
Relatively new to the sport. as an example went out this weekend on a hilly road near me called route 9W incase anyone is familiar. All in all I had done 33 miles with 1700 feet of elevation but was exhausted on the climbs coming back and had to stop on teh steepest one for a break ( prior to that I did make very brief stops for a pic here and there or to fix a chain that came off the bike ect). So summary is that 33 miles with 1700 feet of elevation at my current fitness brand new to the sport with a few months before the event was doable but considered challenging. Finished with teh feeling that if I absolutely had to I couldve gone on for the last 10 miles that I wouldve needed to finish if I was doing the medio. Also my pace would probably be way slower than most of the other riders? 75 miles though .... no way ... at least not now.

In any case, given the above, my few questions in order of importance:

What exactly do those feeding stations? Are they spots were you stop racing and your itme is paused or is it just handing out stuff while you are riding??

Do I register for the 42 or 72 mile version?
Goal is to finish and not necessarily be competetive: My feeling is 42 miles might be a challenge but not as much as I initially thought especially since I expect some training will make me fitter, and I will have a triple cranksette on the front by then. The 75 is way too much of a challenge unless feeding stations are a good break and the effort is much less if you are riding behind a peleton or group of riders??

Training schedule/ program suggestions?

- Current plan has been a few light indoor sessions ( 30 mins or so ) on weekdays because I work long hours and that would also help me recover. Then all out long rides outside on weekends whenever possible ... aiming to make sure its on hilly terrain to prepare for teh elevation. Is that reasonable? Any other suggestions?

Gear Questions:

- I am set on using a triple for the event because I feel like it is just a marginal weight increase but the comfort of the granny gear on the front might be a life saver when Im tired and needing to climb. The question is do I train with the triple now or stick to the standard crank during training and then add the triple as a margin of safety 1-2 weeks pre event?

Tires:

- Theres mud and quite a bit of gravel on the track. Gatorskins with tubes or do I transition to tubeless? I have been thinking of tubeless but any feedback from others who have done this race would be welcome!

Last edited by oik01; 02-18-20 at 08:13 PM.