View Single Post
Old 02-19-20, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
For men during mass start road races, generally they just excuse themselves from the middle of the peloton and hang it off to the side while they coast, or a team mate pushes them to keep them moving.
The Men's U.S. pro road racing championship was held in Philly for many years. One year I saw one of the participants do just that on a flat stretch. A few women he passed could not believe their eyes. BITD I did it during a really fast century ride. Was in a good group that I was not about to let go. I warned the people in the back not to turn around until I gave the okay signal. Also did it a couple of other times just to see if I could. Mixed results. Wore NOT BIBS back then. Don't know if I could do it wearing bibs.

One cycling culture difference I noticed between the U.S. and QP when I did a week long supported tour up there is that if guys had to go in the middle of nowhere they simply walked a bit into the grass and turned their backs but did not go into the woods. Women would cheer them on and wave as they passed.