View Single Post
Old 02-19-20, 08:39 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
You are right. I though about it but then figured that if I am buying a used trainer with some other equipment to add up to 100$, then I would rather wait a bit and buy a used powermeter. Some of those things can be had for low 200s on ebay and that would solve the problem entirely even when using an unsupported trainer. If zwift/ roadtrainer can get direct and accurate power data they should be able to portray my speed on hills/ flats similarly to others on supported trainers.
I was hoping for a magic solution in the meanwhile. Im using it with a setup as a random other trainer and so far roadtrainer gives me reasonable numbers I think. My FTP ended up around 150 when I did the test which is what it predicted it would be. Im relatively new to cycling.... average around 15-16 mph on a 1 mile park loop with hill and descent. The number I got sounded reasonable but I just don't really know for sure so was hoping for something more concrete than me just picking a random trainer/ resistance combo and hoping it was similar to what I had.
I looked at a number of things for the "cheap/easy" way. But in the end, I bit the bullet. I certainly see value in a power meter, but I have multiple bikes and I'm NOT going to put a power meter on every bike. So for now, my indoor bike on the trainer will suffice for my power output. I'll be ok with estimated power from Strava with outdoor rides. I will likely add a full smart trainer for next winter though,

I decided to use a fluid trainer over the mag, as the resistance changes with my effort. Unlike the mag trainer which stays the same unless I move the lever. Seems like no big deal, but it was easy to just be lazy.
Likes For zjrog: