Old 02-04-06, 01:39 PM
masiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have always used what has worked best for me. My old bike had a mix of Huret, Campy and Suntour for the primary components. Superbe definitely had the better brake levers in the 70s (my opinion). In the aero days, I chose campy because there was not much difference for me with the others (modolo, weinmann, etc). With brifters though, campy is my choice. I have ridden Shimano and it just does not feel natural. Almost like stepping back to friction shifters. You had to ride them long enough to know how to shift them. There was a small and brief moment of brain power needed to shift friction and I felt the same way on Shimano. Campy needs a little thought but far less. Additionally, there is no moment of hesitation when I do the shift where I might think that I have shifted incorrectly. The Shimano I found confusing and sloppy feeling in the levers. I am sure that more miles on it would give me a better feel for it. But why should I bother if there are shifters at a somewhat similar price that shift better for my style. I do like the campy shape better than the Shimano.

I don't fault anyone for riding what they ride. But my 11 year old Ergo 8 setup is riding just fine and I think finally broken in.